bannert5buildingsjsfinal.jpg
Elizabeth Teal Interview

AVOCA HOTEL c.1854

Address: 114 High Street, Avoca

Town centre

Avoca Hotel

AVOCA HOTEL - IN FOCUS

Built in 1854, the Avoca Hotel is a grand old Victorian goldfields pub. The Hotel has been at the centre of Avoca's history from the beginning. 

By 1856 demand for accommodation resulted in the importation of a pre built house from Germany. This house was later moved and became Watford House. (See below)

The Avoca Hotel has undergone a variety of makeovers as can be seen in the slideshow photos (see left).

The current brick Avoca Hotel dates from 1872, and is one of the few businesses to have operated continuously since 1854. The hotel has preserved most of its historical charm.

DALY's COTTAGE c.1865

Address: 460 Percydale Rd, Percydale

9.2 K from High St. Avoca

Daly's Cottage

DALY'S COTTAGE - IN FOCUS

Built in 1865 by James Daly, who originated from Kilfinane on the Shannon River in Ireland. The walls are constructed from fiddle back red gum found at the site. Handmade bricks were used on the pantry floor.

It comprises a combined cottage and stable building and a separate dwelling, constructed of vertical timber slabs.

Daly's Cottage is of historical significance as an example of a residence and stable constructed as part of the selection era, when much of Victoria was opened up for purchase by small landholders and farmers, in order to promote settlement following the gold rush.

Bricks were hand made and the walls were lined with newspaper, hessian and wallpaper.

NOTE: Can only be viewed from the roadside.

HEDON FARM c.1865

Address: 112 Dawsons Road Avoca

2.4 K from High St. Avoca

Hedon Farm

HEDON FARM - IN FOCUS

Grape growing and wine making around Avoca began with the pioneering vision of Edwin Mackereth and family. 

Hedon Farm (c. 1865) was the Mackereth family home. It has been lovingly restored by its present owners, Elizabeth and Heathcliffe Teal.

With its original roof and walls, the interior offers a window into country life during the colonial period.

Viewing by appointment ONLY

Situated by an idyllic creek, you can wander among the original vines still being cultivated or enjoy the expansive lawns. Be transported to an earlier time.

 

Private guided tour with Elizabeth, by prior arrangement.

Time: 1 hour

Cost: $5.00 per person. (Children under 13 FREE)

Tea, coffee and biscuits included

Tel: Elizabeth: 0408 521 363

Email: tealelizabeth@gmail.com

Coming soon: History of wine making near Avoca Story Trail

FORMER BANK OF VICTORIA

Address: 119 High Street, Avoca

Town centre

Bank of Victoria

Former BANK of VICTORIA - IN FOCUS

Built in 1912 the imposing Italianate style reflects the optimism and wealth of the Avoca region.  It also served as a residence for the Bank Manager. The Bank was built by the Commercial Banking Company of Sydney originally.  The bank was taken over by the National Bank of Australia and ceased operating in 2002.

It served as Cobb and Co.'s security holding gold escort boxes.

Today it is the setting for Westbury Antiques and Boutique Accommodation.

Harvey & Carol Wilkin Interview

Situated in the centre of Avoca (119 High St.), the former Bank is close to shops, the Chinese Garden and historic Avoca Hotel.

Tel: +61 3 5465 3406

Mob: 0412 949 721

Email: info@westburyantiques.com.au

Web: westbury-accommodation.com.au

WATFORD HOUSE c.1856

Address: 16 Dundas Street, Avoca

10 min walk or 1.5 K from the Town centre

Watford House

WATFORD HOUSE - IN FOCUS

As Avoca's population swelled from goldrush fever, accommodation and the resources to quickly build accommodation became a real issue.

 

Watford house (1856) came from Hamburg in numbered planks during the gold rush era, Notice the Swiss style and feel of the design.

The house also had a notable past. Brought by ship from Hamburg to Geelong it was transported inland to Avoca by bullock drays, then assembled in the main street as accommodation for the Avoca Hotel. It was sold 20 years later and rolled down the hill on logs to the current site.

Watford House at 16 Dundas Street was brought back to life across 14 years by artist Lyndal Jones, Today it is a private residence.